Wednesday, December 7, 2016

California Gold: Kirk Hammett's Guitars, San Francisco

Kirk in action via
fansite.
I've been a fan of Metallica since Master of Puppets was released in 1986. The band will still be making music in 2017, an unbelievable 34 years after their studio debut of Kill 'em All in 1983. I've seen the band play a number of times, but one of the most memorable performances for me was a show in Cincinnati where I had front row seats, stage center. I was close enough to see the custom made Universal Monsters guitars played by Kirk Hammett. Guitars with the Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster, and Dracula beautifully represented on the body.

Fast forward just over 20 years. I am flying north from LA to San Francisco (Metallica's home town) for business. When I arrive at the San Francisco airport, I find a large display near the terminals of Mr. Hammett's vintage horror film memorabilia collection and a few of his prized guitars. These are the same guitars he's played in countless concerts. The same ones shown in various Metallica videos. And the same ones I saw him play at the show in Cincinnati during my youth.

There are a million great reasons to visit San Francisco. Stepping off an airplane and seeing such remarkable creations as these might be gilding the lily but I won't complain.





No comments:

Post a Comment